It has been awhile since my last “Retired Guy Series” post. Nothing like taking over a month to post an update on the my happenings. Well, here you go!
- I am now officially doing some volunteer work.. I am one of the directors for Az4Education. What is Az4Education? AZ4Education is a 501(c)3 charity and a certified Arizona School Tuition Organization (STO). AZ4Education offers need-based and merit-based scholarships for K-12 students attending private/charter schools in Arizona. Our mission is simple – At AZ4Education we believe that parents should be able to choose the school that is best for their child. Our mission is to help make private education an affordable option for every family. I am truly worried about the future of our overall education system (both public and private) and making sure that the education of our future leaders is important to me.
- I am also going through the screening process now for being a volunteer with Valley Big Brother, Big Sisters. I am really looking forward to helping out with orientation of the new “Big’s” and helping the BBBS team with training.
- Update on the “second” career… I have submitted 6 job applications this past month.. Two of which decided from reviewing my application that I was not a good candidate at this time. One interview – which went very well! Still waiting to hear back on the final decision, that is to come out the end of April. One more job has an interview coming up next week. The other two job applications – I guess just fell into that black hole (no feedback whatsoever). I have a couple more potential job applications to submit – as I am doing my due diligence to make sure that the companies that are hiring are a good fit for me.
- This past weekend – I participated in Pat’s Run in Tempe for the Pat Tillman Foundation. I have participated in all of them, except the very first one. This was the second time that I have jogged the course. Hip replacement does not make for a good runners body. Well, then again – I was never built for running. This year, there were about 30K participants! I truly believe in what Pat Tillman stood for and what his foundation is trying to do. Check it out..
- Made huge strides on the “honey-do” list… We all have one! I just have more time to accomplish those items – than others.
Overall it has been a very productive month since my last update. I hope that you are enjoying reading the “Retired Guy Series”!