In this day and age, there are many ways to communicate to others. Thinking back we have land line telephone (some still do), mobile phones and Skype for voice and some video. We have digital everything – choices like email, social sites like Facebook, LinkedIn (some of them have email), instant messaging, texting and Twitter. Now add the meeting spaces – face to face, conferences and some of the new video capabilities. I know I did not get every single one of them, but I think the picture is clear, we have plenty.
So why is it that with some many capabilities to communicate – their still are lost messages? How about:
- We have too many and the important ones get lost in all that noise.
- Writing skills are no longer important. Clear and concise messages – a thing of the past.
- No idea which one to use – pick the wrong one and who knows what is going to happen.
- Attention span issues.
- No communications even sent. The sender thought they did it, but just did not.
- Receiver just does not get it (the message, look at the message, know what to do with it – pick it).
- Meeting people face to face has a set of dynamics – which do not help with communication. You would think it easier.
How do we improve?
How can we make it better?