I wrote an internal blog post to share with other managers in my company – about a year ago. I was reading it the other day and felt like a top ten list of what I have learned would be a great summary of my experience. I got that moment of well, I really don’t see anything here that moves mountains or will feed the hungry, but they are nice reminders for leaders.
Here are ten things I’ve learned:
- Spend time working and listening to your folks.
- Trust employees!
- Always judge your people yourself.
- Listen to your customers.
- The certification you get does not make you a great manager.
- Color outside the lines. You just never know what masterpiece will form next.
- Get you hands dirty. Work is for everyone, even the manager.
- Make decisions.
- Ask for help. If you don’t know something – well, help is just one question away.
- Never stop teaching and learning.
Any that you can think of that standout from your experiences? The great thing for me, was revisiting this list and visualizing the many examples in each one.